Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sacred Cow

So, a while ago I promised titilating conversation as much as a blog can conversate discussing traditions that seem strange by modern terms and some of the research behind those traditions. I had decided to start with my favourite: the sacred cow. The challenge that I have been having and the reason this has taken longer than I would have expected is that I have not been able to substantiate what I had been taught as truth in university.

Shocked and amazed? I'm sure. HUW you professers out there have some 'splaining to do.

In my undergrad social traditions class, multiple theories for why social traditions develop were discussed. In the end, the theory that all things have a purpose was dominant. For example, at this stage in society, the notion of Noah's Ark is arcane and rather silly. However, at the time that the story was "created" (nee delivered from mouth of God!) the concept had a purpose. Personally, I am not sure of what the purpose is but I am ...errr... was sure about the cow.

Once upon a time, in rural India many generations ago, animals roamed the streets. Unfortunately, some of these animals carried disease. Groups of people would eat these animals, specifically cows, and die from it. Rather than considering the cow sacred, the cow was considered a killer. Reverence for the animal only developed once people had forgotten the original reason for not eating the animals and were telling the next generations of the tradition.

Currently, the cow is considered sacred and its protection is a recurrent theme in Hinduism where she is symbolic of abundance, of the sanctity of all life, and also of the earth that gives much while asking nothing in return. Most Hindus respect the cow as a matriarchal figure for her gentle qualities and providing nurturing milk and its products for a largely vegetarian diet. While most Hindus do not worship the cow, it holds an honoured place in society and most will not eat beef even at risk of death through starvation.

That's my theory anyway. Discuss amongst yourselves. Here is a link of interest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Yes, that does make sense. Very interesting!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Huw said...

B+

We professors are only guessing half the time.

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home