Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Chief Referee

Sometimes I think that being a mom is a lot like being a wrestling referee: you are only heard by the participants when there is a 'flag on the play' otherwise all the other screams and cheers drown out your message.

I had an interesting conversation on the weekend where I was told, in no uncertainty, that I do nothing to help one of my sons. That's why he is choosing to not be helpful to the rest of the family right now. Sigh.

I do not take him to hockey (never mind that I stay with the other two, enabling him to be taken to hockey). I do not make his school lunch (that is a daddy job) and I do not walk him back and forth to school; that task is relegated to my sister.

He has missed all the book reading, homework doing, laundry-doing, cooking, etc. I worry that he will grow up believing that his mom did not do anything to make his life easier because she is focussed on the younger ones and working. I suppose this is the age old issue for the working mom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I resemble that comment...

5:18 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Sigh. We just can't win sometimes, can we?

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home