Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I think two year olds become possessed

So, I remember this stage with my other boys. I remember being frustrated at times but I really thought that, since I had experience, this time would be easier. Two year olds are hard to parent. Without killing them...

Keegan is hitting. Everyone but Jon will reassure me that this is normal for a two year old. But Keegan is hitting kids that are much bigger than him and doing it for no reason. At the park last night, Keegan climb up the play structure then turned around and hit a four year old on the top of the head. And laughed.

Now the four year old hardly even noticed but I did. I am doing all the normally prescribed things: I use my harsh voice, I tell him it hurts, I remove him from the situation and I try to "spot" to catch the hit before it lands on its dedicated target. He is still hitting.

Now, personally, as a parenting technique, I don't believe that hitting a child is effective. All the research shows that spanking or smacking simply teaches the child how to wield authority. While I certainly have lost my cool in the past, it is very rare that I hit my children. So, that rules out corporal punishment.

Frankly, I think this is just a stage - the same way that Liam used to bite. Keegan has a strong personality with two older siblings and parents to boss him around. I can absolutely understand his need to control something, even if that means creating a negative reaction from another child. No doubt there are those around me that figure I am raising a serial killing who will slap and push his victims to their grave.

Go ahead, weigh in....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home