Tuesday, July 12, 2005

To Liam -

Sometimes life gets busy and I forget to recognize that there are a lot of pressures on you as the oldest of three boys. You are expected to be independent and actually help care for your younger brothers. You are expected to understand that your needs sometimes come second or third or fourth. You are expected to be tolerant of their inability to share, respect your privacy and put your toys back where they found them. And, as parents, we have become so used to you living up to these expectations that we often forget that you are also just a kid.

I would like to take the time now to tell you all the things I love about you and why I am so grateful that you are my son.

1) You are always happy and full of life. I delight in watching you play imaginative games with your friends and envy the confidence you have that everything will be fine.

2) You think independently. Since I have known you - at 2, 3, 4 - you have been a leader that others will follow. You think for yourself and while, I don't always understand your decisions, I always know you made them for yourself.

3) You are athletic and competitive. This will give you your drive to succeed in life, and the ability to follow through.

4) You are compassionate to others and easily understand that they are sometimes sad or angry. You show tolerance and patience for those that are different from you.

5) You have a terrible sense of humour :-). Individuals have to be known for something, I guess.

6) You are extremely intelligent. Concepts come quickly and without a challenge.

7) You are a natural teacher that takes delight in helping others learn.

8) You collect things and organize them. Stones, rubber bands, pieces of chalk; all categorized in a box (somewhere) in your room. I think this organization gives you peace.

9) You are adaptable. Nothing breaks your stride; you simply process and keep moving.

10) You are social. You have built yourself a network of friends with similar interests. You also use those relationships to learn about things that are different from your experiences.

I don't think we tell you often enough how special you are and how much you are loved.

Mommy

4 Comments:

Blogger y-vonne said...

I thought I would read the blog to Liam last night so that he would know how much I loved him. You'd think I was pouring hot lava on his chest with all of the "are you done yets". Apparently, my love for him is not as interesting as a kiddie pool filled with water and five other kids.

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

had me almost in tears, it was so touching - loved it!!!
Krys

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You love him for all those wonderful traits that are unique to him and those that you and daddy have instilled in him through the eample of your own lives. And I love him too because he is so much a part of you and because he is simply himself...Liam.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sweet. I loved that you feel this way about your kids and like to read your blog. I also am a mother to three boys (16, 14, 12). I hope you still feel that way when your kids are that age.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home