Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Busy?

So, I watch other children. Not like I am stalking them in a weird way. I am just interested in their behaviours and the responses of their parents or caregivers. I like to see how personalities are formed over time.

Yesterday, after a bit of miscommunication between my children's parents :-), I scrambled at the last minute to get my eldest to floor hockey. Picture this...

At 5:40, I realized that Todd was not coming home from work. Ever. And I had not been able to coax the kids in from the park in order to feed them a healthy supper before the eldest played floor hockey so, I improvised. We are going to another park ... a funner park ... I told the two youngest. And I loaded the wagon full (seriously) of sand toys and sand *this part is important for later* into the front seat of the van. I stole the "Lunchables" (only the healthy choice ones!) from the fridge and some apples, a bottle of water and fishy crackers AND I RAN FOR IT!!!

On the way to the floor hockey, I threw back apples and the Lunchable for Liam. I wanted to save the "supper" for the younger kids as entertainment at the game. The first corner that I take I hear "ssssss" sort of like air coming out of the tires... Then I realize, it is the sand stored in the bottom of the wagon .... draining into the socket for my cell phone charger in the dash. At this point, I was wishing I had slid some of that vodka into the water.

We get to the game and get Liam settled with his stick and his jersey and his water bottle ... and I settle down to the role of a short order cook in a REALLY fast diner. Open the cream cheese for one, open the pizza sauce for another, start spreading the cream cheese - EMERGENCY WASHROOM BREAK - ok, ok, squirt out the sauce for the first, pick up the cheese from the floor, bite the tips off the turkey nibblers (cause no-one would actually eat the tip of a turkey sausage) ... you get the picture. Hold the water bottle so none gets spilled. Remove socks on self to clean up the water that gets spilled while I was spreading cream cheese... Once the feeding frenzy is complete (over in 6.2 minutes), I spend the next 50 minutes corralling kids on the gym equipment they have stored on the gym stage. And up and down the stairs. Then cleaning up a bloody nose (Aiden of course), more pee breaks, trips to the water fountain, etc.

At this point I notice, there is another kid on the stage. A little younger than Keegan - maybe just turned two. And she is standing between her father's legs, eating a small container of fishy crackers. And not saying a word. And not running anywhere. I know there is an upside to having active, busy children. But, at this point I fail to see it. And I forgot my wet socks on the stage.

An Exhausted Parent

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am stressed just reading about it!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that didn't bring on the attack you've been dreading :)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home