Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Value of Cousins

I grew up in a large family. Irish. Catholic. You get the picture. When I was three my parents separated and my mother and I moved in with my grandmother. Err.... grandmother and two uncles. I was raised by my mother and extended family until I was nine and I have some of the best memories of my life from those days.

There were cousins from my mother's seven brothers and sisters always around. Visitors dropped by unexpectedly almost on a daily basis. It was a hive of activity and despite losing touch with some of my cousins, I still cherish the times we spent together and have no doubt that we would be there for each other in a pinch.

And so, family has always been important to me. In my eyes, they are the ones that bail you out when you are down so low that you just cannot get back up on your own.

My significant other has different ideas. While close to his immediate family, we have lived in Ottawa for 14 years and, for the last seven, only spoken to his aunt, uncle and two cousins resident here, at family functions located elsewhere.

I was delighted when this weekend, one of my spouse's sisters decided to come for a visit from London. Braving the six hour drive, the cousins - ranging from two to seven - got the chance to spend some good times together. It was the best kind of chaos. The kind that involves painting and running and jumping and yelling and well, the occassionaly punch thrown.

Many days I wish that the world had not expanded so far, allowing families to be spread across geographies. From my spouse's perspective it will make the kids stronger learning not to lean on family. From mine, you miss the unconditional love - shown through the occassional thrown punch :-) - and the bonds that blood can bring.

Soon, driving the six hours will seem easier. Once we can get the youngest to zone on the portable TV.

3 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

Well, you know how I feel about your spouse's cousins... and the Internet is simply not a place for such language.

Seriously, being from a small family, just the opposite of you, I still totally agree with you. There is nothing I love more than when the house is full to bursting with the chaos of kids, especially family kids - but that includes extended family, too. Speaking of which, I miss you guys!!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

omg..I could not imagine taking kids on a 6 hour road trip...TV or no TV...lmao

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was well worth the drive and the kids were remarkably well behaved both ways. We'll do it again soon(not too soon though). We could have done without the chicken pox though:)
love ya

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home