Friday, October 21, 2005

The Best Advice Ever

People are full of advice: good advice, bad advice, etc. But there are times in ones life where a nugget of wisdom is passed down that so contributes to your life that you can't forget it.

Years ago I had a friend - let's call him sugar daddy :-) who took a special interest in my career and life in general. We would meet for suppers and outings and he actually got me my first job with the federal government using his connections.

One of the last times that we got together I was struggling with time. I was balancing a full time job and volunteer work that he had nominated me for. And he wanted to go for a long leisurely supper and talk about the world. I just wanted to go home and catch up on my deliverables.

Sensing my stress (really, I flat out told him) he offered me some sage advice. Whereever you are in business: be there. If you are in a meeting, block out your other stresses and obligations and focus on that meeting. If you are at home, BE at home. You will not be successful if you are not engaged.

Over the years I have found creative ways of staying half true to this idea. In some cases I have fallen completely off the bandwagon but, for the most part this bit of advice has helped me to impress others with my committment despite turmoil in other areas of my life. It is the piece of advice that I cherish the most in life despite the fact that my sugar daddy has disappeared.

For me it has become a mantra. Along with don't slow down cause the ride keeps going.

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Very timely read for me Yvonne.. I am struggling with "being there" in almost all aspects of my life, because there is currently too much on my plate. I am working on re-balancing... but in the meantime... I keep persevering.

So... thanks for the kick in the butt, er - reminder I mean - I needed it!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home