Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sublminal Mind F&^% America

OK, I draw the line here. I have noticed over time that Todd and I have different ideas in parenting. Mostly, we are in synch but there are times when one of us has to turn the other way and allow the other person to parent. One of those moments has occurred and I am about to throw Todd under the preverbial bus.

Todd, in his wisdom, has succumbed to Liam's love of music. Not the lilting voices of country, the calming nature of classical or even the throbbing beat of hip hop for my son. No, Liam has chosen hard thrashing rock, specifically Greenday, as his music of choice.

Now, I am not innocent here. I can remember the mocking of colleagues when I shared that one of my favourite performers is Eminem. You can imagine my car-seat laden van, trapsing through suburbia with the screams of Lose Yourself blaring through the speakers. I believe the lines from the peanut gallery went something like this: "Gunna get me a f(&^n grocery cart. And your posse can't stop me." :-) However, I have given over to the Sharon, Lois and Brams of the world and reserve my trash music for headphones at the office. Mostly so I cannot hear said colleagues.

Todd, on the other hand, also a lover of Greenday, made Liam's day last week by bringing home a copy of their new CD, American Idiot. You can imagine from the title that it is not the most PC. However, Todd has tried to turn the volume down at the opportune times, limiting the swear words and concepts that the children hear.

Aiden poignently showed us how effective that is. Driving home in the van last night Aiden was singing a song, his little lisp making the words a bit hard to understand, until one line: "subliminal mind f*&k America" which came out clear as day. The CD has now been confiscated, amidst the crying and nashing of teeth from all four boys. This is the trump card called Mother's Perogative.

I had to make room for Eminem...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but see when I heard the songs originally on the radio they were altered for content. I had done my parental homework, I figured they were safe. Who knew that electronic bleep in the middle of the song was not intended by the artist.

Don't worry Liam, we still have streaming MP3s from the pc and a set of wireless headphones. Wear them in bed under you covers... and don't tell mom.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

LOL, too funny. My husband went to a Greenday concert last week. He said there were TON's of young kids there with their parents, and that the concert was obviously NOT intended for kids that young.

A lot of Bush-bashing went on there, which wouldn't bother ME a bit - but we do live in a "red" state, so I can imagine the shudders of a great many of those said parents...

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home