Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Kids' Organizing System

So, they say the apple does not fall far from the tree. It has been said that my personality is a little (no comments from the peanut gallery here) anal retentive; that I like my life organized and have a system for where things belong. Living in the chaos of three boys and a husband who abhors organization makes noticing this rather difficult.

Last night Liam made it very obvious.

We have been doing the back-to-school shopping routine that all families with young kids are involved in at this time of year. From shirts to shoes, socks to underwear, at this time of year we are the ultimate consumers. Last night, Liam took all of his new things up to his bedroom and began the process of organizing. No word of a lie.

I came in about 10 minutes later to see that he had placed all of the long sleeve shirts in one drawer (for cooler days, he informed me). All of the 'kewl' pants in one drawer and, disappointingly for me, all the others that he will not really consider on the other side of the dresser. But it was the underwear that stunned me.

All of the NEW Spiderman underwear went neatly folded into one pile; all of the older Spiderman underwear in another; and, in a flash of maturity, we purchased PLAIN underwear, that was relegated to another pile for the feeling grown up days.

You would think that after 17 years with me, my spouse would have learned to admire the art. Instead, he broke the karma by offering to help him. He was greeted with a look of recoiled horror. "Dad, you don't mess with the system..." He should know that his role is to pass the items to the organizer. And to resist the urge to sneak back in the dead of night and mess with the organizer's system.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but I offered to help.. see I was there... being a good parent.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Huw said...

Wait a minute... You're not supposed to wear spiderman pants on grown up days? Jeez, time to get me some plain pants.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh, a boy after my own heart!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Now that is the kind of system I need! WOW!

This is Jo from DotMoms and I said I would leave you my email - momofheathens AT excite DOT com

Off to read some more of your blog. :)

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home