Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Yu-Gi-Oh Card Review

Get this.

We went to our Yu-Gi-Oh card training session and I know you are all waiting for the reviews. Well, the 17-18 year old that led the 'class' was patient and kind, helping the oggling group of 7 - 10 year olds build decks and learn the mastery of dueling.

Liam even met a kindred spirit - a little boy that had a stutter of excitement where every sentence seemed to end with 'you know' or 'whatever'. Something like this...

"So ... so ... so ... what if you get, like, a card, and it has the guy with two eyes and a million arms, you know ... what is that guy worth? That card with the arms and ... whatever."

To which the instructor would patiently reply that there are a number of cards like that but, if he would like to bring in his card the store would be happy to appraise it for him.

Up until that point, I had a great deal of respect for the instructor. Then he dropped the bomb. He encouraged the kids to take care of their cards (good), not to 'play for keepsies' because you could be losing a rare (good) and if you follow these simple rules, you could use your cards to fund your university educations.

STOP THE TRUCK! Did you just tell me that there are people out there that honestly believe they should be buying cards and saving them so they will be able to go to university? I used my advanced mathematics and financing skills :-) here. So, a booster pack is 3.25 with five cards that, assuming you can find a willing buyer, MAY be worth as much as a dollar each in ten years. Assuming you never play with them.

Yeah, when I entered the store I promised that I would not roll my eyes or groan for the full hour. In fact, I pinky sweared it. But, this was too much for my delicate soul. Do these people have such suspended belief systems that they do not get the basics of supply and demand??? In ten years, something else will have come into strength and the tale of the Yu-Gi-Oh card selling for $2500 will be again relegated to the urban legend that it is.

Uber Geek - your opinions are not welcome here....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm this card is worth 7300.00 US
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yu-gi-oh-Cyberstein-CYBER-STEIN-SJC-EN001-Real_W0QQitemZ5227060084QQcategoryZ38319QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this card 3700.00 US
http://cgi.ebay.com/CYBER-STEIN-YUGIOH-SHONEN-JUMP-CHAMPIONSHIP-SJC-EN001_W0QQitemZ5226932038QQcategoryZ31395QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here we have a collection of a mere 300+ cards going for 600.00 US

12:53 PM  
Blogger y-vonne said...

and you had to sift through 457678 cards at 24 cents each (with no bids) to find those ones. FYI - just because you're ASKING that much on ebay does not mean you're GETTING that much.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings, This is a strange introduction of myself. We met briefly when you visited ubergeek at work. I am the curly haired weirdo from his work. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your fella has introduced me to your blog. It's excellent. That being said, to the theme at hand. I have been in the same boat. I lived with several boys who were very into this gaming stuff. I still do not understand. To me, all this stuff reeks of boys in the basement for days on end. I am afraid that the boy at the store may have been correct. Who would have known how much worth a stupid plastic toy from Star Wars would be worth 20 years later. The nerds rule (and usually have the money)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home