Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Our Family is Growing

Yes, we have made another addition to our family. Unbeknowst to me, my son has picked up my heritage of providing shelter to lost dogs and stray cats, or in this case injured snapping turtles. Apparently, he witnessed this little (8 inch) snapping turtle go over a waterfall (read: large turtle, small waterfall) and was so overcome with emotion that he needed to bring him an hour away from his home in a small plastic container with a rock and shell and a little water.

I can see no injury in this turtle but, never have it be said that I did not provide shelter to an animal in need.

So, last night, when all of the kids SHOULD have been settling into bed, my household was finding a tank (yes, we now have extra fish tanks just lying around waiting to be used), setting it up for a turtle and feeding him (yes, we also have stacks of food just waiting for random animals). And, when all was done and lights were turned off for the night, I heard screams (top of the lung, terrified screams) coming from my son's room.

It seems our snapping turtle is not so injured that he cannot climb OUT of his tank, fall from the 1 foot level he was at, and crawl menacingly toward the 7 year old's bed. Liam knows that snapping turtles can bite and we warned the kids last night about salmonila (sic) poisoning and how important it is to wash your hands. Liam had himself so upset at the prospects of being bitten and poisoned to death that he was sobbing and shaking.

So, (drumroll please) in, screams Super Mom, taking the steps two at a time, stubbing her toe on the door and shaking uncontrollably at the thought of the shrieks coming from her child. To pick up said turtle, place him back in his home and put two (NOT ONE) books, a piggy bank and a potted plant on top of the tank.

Liam, in his usual loving big brother style, told his younger brother that he now had permission to sleep on the floor in his room and told me with a sly smile, that way the turtle will get him first. Aiden complied. I guess he understands his role as the younger brother.

3 Comments:

Blogger Huw said...

On the bright side, you might not have to put up with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles phase now...

10:17 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Awwww... you are my hero giving shelter to all species of critters! We don't have snapping turtles around here, but we get our fair share of gigantic toads.

We purchased a "toad house" at a garage sale for $1 in June, so all the lucky neighborhood toads have been getting to sleepover. I rue the day I bought that toad house.

Toads are harmless you say? Have you ever picked up an enourmous toad, and FELT how they feel in your hand? Have you experienced a toad PEEING in your hand? Harmless, bah.

9:44 PM  
Blogger y-vonne said...

Wait til I blog about the snake that is coming...my only deal is that we CANNOT get a snake big enough to eat the cat...

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home