Thursday, August 18, 2005

I have a rant

I don't rant often :-) and reserve it for times when I am right pissed off. I am that right now.

So, those of you who know me well know that my sister-in-law has cancer. Very serious, uncurable cancer. This is not a sympathy call. We are all growing to understand the implications of this and, as a double-edged mercy, cancer is slow to take its affects so we have the benefit of time.

Now, this sister-in-law has two young kids (4,5) and is forced by necessity to be strong and independent through the day. She has received a handicap pass in order to park close to the places she needs to be. Her cancer is in the bones of her legs and some of the invasive procedures they have done have caused deep vein thrombosis - deadly blood clots in the legs. Her mobility is absolutely restricted and when there are others around to help, she is often limited to a wheel chair.

Yesterday, taking the kids out to WalMart, she returned to her car to find a note attached to it. Telling her to get off her ass and lose some weight then she would be able to walk. Her kids were there to see her reaction. Certainly, with limited mobility and cancer-fighting drugs weight gain is evitable. And this person, despite her condition is rarely ON her ass: she has two young kids, a household and constant medical appointments.

My point: We do not know what an individual is dealing with. While I can understand the frustration if it appears someone is 'using' the system, do not pass judgement until you have walked in their shoes.

The two small lines on that note will haunt her every time she parks in a handicap spot at this point. Wondering if she'll have to defend herself. Be kind to others today, if just for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

This is truly shameful, and I'm sorry that it happened. Why do people take it upon themselves to police other people's actions? What possible purpose could that note have served, even if she weren't entitled to park in that spot?

I think often of your sister-in-law, even if I can never think of ways to tell you so.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

That is sad and mean hearted. There are too many mean hearted people out there for my liking.

She is lucky to have somebody like you who obviously loves her a great deal.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home