Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Indoctrination into Catholicism

So, we did it. My eldest has now officially been devoted to God. He can check the little boxes beside his name that says: confessed, communioned and confirmed. And it was not as painful as I would have expected.

One of the concerns that I have always had with Catholicism is that it is difficult to follow parenting or marriage values when NONE OF THE PRIESTS ARE MARRIED OR HAVE KIDS. But the priest at the congregation to which we are officially members, seems to have one foot in reality. He is young and he has a sense of humour that leads me to believe he gets it. He really gets it.

He explained the Holy Spirit to the kids in terms of chocolate milk. If you don't stir it up a little, it just congeals at the bottom of the glass... kind of yummy but difficult to drink. When dismissing the children for their special liturgy he asked each of them "who prays at night". My children did not know to feel shame here but I quickly looked at the stained glass windows ... and the carpet ... anything to not maintain eye contact. Then he asked "who prays for the Ottawa Senators to win the Stanley Cup" and they all cheered. He admitted that he too, prays for that!

The guy has a sense of humour and may, in fact, win me over to the Dark Side. It will be interesting to see.

3 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

*smacks forehead*

I've REALLY got to get on with getting my boys baptized this summer!!!

Was it the same one who did your littlest's christening? I liked him, too!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and so happy to be a part of it

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess, was it "Father Joe"?

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home