Wednesday, November 02, 2005

No Parenting Information Here

Move along if you are looking for any details about my personal life today. There is nothing to see here. I am completely focussed on work this morning.

You see, I have a meeting with one nasty individual. And they usually bring friends for these kinds of meetings.

While my responsibilities for federal government departments have evolved over the years, at this point my role is policy direction for the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms and the Access to Information and Privacy Acts. These legislations are fundamental influences in the Canadian federal government and their interaction with citizens.

Some people take them a little too far. This morning I am meeting with two local lawyers who have decided to take a position against the department that I work for. This ‘negotiation’ faze will be an exercise in futility as all my attempts (with my ever-so-dazzling personality) to engage these individuals in meaningful conversation have deteriorated to abuse.

Being retired members of the military, with law degrees, these individuals are the ultimate disaster for a consensus builder. I am at the stage now of wondering when I am within my own rights to walk away. Every time the conversation moves from facilitating to personal: I have been accused of hiding information, refusing to comply with the law and the ultimate for me - “had I been more experienced I would not have come to that conclusion.”

To date, I have held my tongue. I am sure that responding to personal slander in this case would only escalate the problem and I am trying to address the issues. Honestly, their challenge is that I am using all the tools in my scope: I have obtained legal advice, consulted multiple other departments and the government of Canada watchdog agencies. I, and the Department that I represent, are working within the scope of our legislations.

At some point I just want to climb up on my chair and start the two year old chant: liar, liar, pants on fire. And I thought that this post would not deteriorate to child rearing. Maybe these meetings will be just like it is at home!

2 Comments:

Blogger y-vonne said...

Not and keep my job. :-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

Oh I so don't want to be in your shoes.....good luck and I certainly hope the outcome is a good one....(I thought I had it bad at work...oh wait..I still do..nevermind that)

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home