Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I had an accident

I got called to the school on Monday afternoon. Luckily I was already driving home (3:10) and more than half way there. It seems my 7 year old had an accident at school. By "accident" they did not mean falling in the playground. Ahem.

So, I was a little concerned. It has been 3-4 years since he has had an accident. I was wondering if he was ill or if something was going on that I was not aware of.

When I got to the school, my eldest was waiting in the vestibule at the front door. He was noticably wet and uncomfortable.

It seems the downside of the portable is showing its ugly self: the rule is that kids must travel to the washroom in pairs (very good) and that only two kids are allowed out at any given time (completely understandable). Two kids had left quite a while ago and were not quick in hurrying back to the class (yep, I get that too) and my son had to go. Had to go bad.

When it was his turn, he made it out the door but never made it all the way to the washroom. He felt terrible. No doubt the teacher felt pretty bad as well. I decided not to pursue the issue with the school but I cannot imagine being told that I am not allowed to go to the washroom. Sigh.

How many more years of this is there?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The headlines in our paper today states that the board must close 61 schools. I did not read the whole article as I have lived this situation many times. But strangely enough my thoughts went immediately to your son's school as I was thinking of how often boards build schools then have to add portables within a year or two and I was visualizing his school. Then they have to close in other areas and ship kids out to more distant places. It seems as if the kids are not first and foremost in the minds of the planners(for want of a better word to describe them). It is always about money and I have sat through many decision-making meetings where my heart ached for the parents and kids and yet understood at the same time how the board came to its decisions. The years of the one-roomed school houses seem nostagically good. No easy answers. The boy is lucky to have a mom like who who can make this particular moment in time as easy a bump to get over as possible. By the way, glad you are back. I have missed you.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

Oh my goodness this brought my my first grade nightmare all over again.

It was reading time and Mrs. Vance devided the class in 1/2. 1st group sat at their desks coloring a picture while she read to the 2nd group then she would switch groups. I was in the group sitting at my desk needing to pee really bad. Holding my hand up for the longest time trying to get her attention so I could ask to go when she finally sees me and tells "no. just wait and we'll all go when the story is over". I tried to hold it..I really did. I just couldn't be held and longer. I heard the boy behind me call out to Mrs Vance that the floor was all wet under Janet's desk. Well you can guess that story time was over now. She literally made sit up on the radiator heater infront of the entire class to "dry out". My Mother stormed into the principal's office the next day over it after I came home and told her about my embarrassement.

I can fully understand what your child went through. I hope he doesn't hang on to any embarrassment about it for a long time. It took me till my senior year to be able to laugh about it.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, the above comment jogged my memory about a similar grade one experience. You can tell him his grandmaman did it . I had to be able to ask it in French and by the time I got the phrase right...puis-je aller aux toilettes...well I had !!!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Awwww...That's a sad story. You reminded me of my best friend in high school. One day we had to use the bathrooms by the senior's lockers. After leaving the bathroom and walking all the way down the hall, we could hear laughing, which got louder and louder. Only as we were about to head down the stairs did someone point out to hear that she had tucked her skirt into her pantyhose and just flashed the whole floor. Oops

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home