Thursday, November 10, 2005

We All Have our Crosses to Bear

It seems that in life we are all given little challenges: for some it is physical challenges that they are forced to overcome; some carry emotional crosses and some are just not born with the mental prowess of the rest of us. Ahem…

I have carried my cross in life quietly where possible. Hiding my crutch with shame and surrounding myself with people that are stronger in the area of my weakness than I. Sometimes that just seems to make my weakness more pronounced.

Let’s face it. I am directionally challenged.

I have now lived in the same city for 15 years and I still take the familiar routes home. As frequently as 3 – 4 times a year I have had to call my spouse and shameful admit that I have no idea where I am and need directions on the best way home.

Now, for those of you who know me, I am also fiercely independent and proud. I will NOT admit to being lost. Being lost is something that happens to unintelligent people. Not for me. Out of pride I opt to simply take familiar routes – even though they are 15 minutes longer that a direct route. I drive straight in a line until I find a familiar road. And I use maps. Even of familiar cities.

‘fess up all you people out there. I cannot be the only person in the world with a weakness.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who has to back out of an elevator in order to find her way out of the building.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y - try CDC.gov for everything you could possibly want to know about bird flu.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just remembered..when my mom was in the hospital years ago , my sister brought her a teddy bear that we all called "Gladly".....the crosseyed bear.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Directionally challenged... that one is funny! OK, I know perhaps not to you, but still. The way you wrote about it is.

I suppose my worse shortfall is that I chew my fingernails and cannot stop. Well, I did once. During my first pregnancy. But that's it.

It may sound trivial, but I truly detest that I do it, and yet cannot stop. Just a teensy tiny bit of stress or boredom, and the chewfest begins.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I'm with you on this one...I also have a very bad sense of direction. I'm hoping with my next car that I can afford to get a GPS unit installed so it will save me from future embarassment.

Recently, when a girlfriend and I were driving from Connecticut to Deleware to visit a former roommate we ended up in the Poconos before we realized our error (an extra two and half hours added to the trip). Ugh.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

I love going differnt directions to get to places...I get bored to fast going the same way all the time...getting lost is a challenge I love putting my sense of direction to the test now and then.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home