Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I love storms

Ottawa is do for a thunder boomer. It is all over the weather network and severe storm watches are in effect. I am not sure what it is about human nature that we revert to our archaic times and love a natural disaster. Don't get me wrong: I never want to see people hurt. I just love the cracks and booms and lighting up of the sky. The energy seems to be able to convert easily to excitement.

I have passed this love off to my children. Albeit, slowly over numerous storms. The beginning is always a little shaky. The littlest still needs to be held close and snuggled during the 'booms' as he calls it. And he runs into the house in fear if he cannot get close enough to me or my sister. But, I know he will come around.

Some of the best summer times I remember (and there are lots) are of sitting outside, wrapped up in a blanket, during a summer storm. Even when Liam was just a year old we would take out some books and watch the rain while we read. Now, we have a wonderful porch on the front of the house and can usually sit without getting wet. The blanket, while no longer a necessity, is still there. The Dr. Seuss books have been replaced with cars and tractor books and the occassional Munsch. The result is still the same.

A little bit of peace, in the midst of natural chaos. Maybe that is why I relate to it so well :-).

Here is a site for those of you into the more serious stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Huw said...

An acquaintence of mine was once lying in bed when a fork of lightening came through the window and struck the wet pair of swimming trunks he'd hung up on the headrest of his bed. He later told me in all seriousness that "it came as quite a shock".

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home