Thursday, June 16, 2005

Splish, Splash

Sometimes I find that the line between being a really good parent and being a really bad parent is narrow ... and faint. For the last two days it has rained in Ottawa. Not that light, good for the flowers, drizzle that you can get. It was the torrential, raining cats and dogs, leave massive puddles in the street kind of rain. The kind of rain that little boys love.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In our park there is a section (on our side, right outside our front door) that fills with water when it rains and has very little drainage. So the sand and the sidewalk erupt is 3 inch deep (more if you dig a hole) puddles that call quietly, then louder, to the ears of those under 4 feet. Think about it, 3 inches in up to their knees in some cases :-). It is like having a beach right outside ... without sharks and only minimal chances of drowning.

So, two nights in a row, out we go. Last night I did not even bother to force the kids to remove their ketchup covered clothing after supper. In fact, I do not even recall washing faces and hands. Not like it matters within minutes anyway.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So, the Robinson boys not only splashed in the puddles but figured out that if you do the 'coming into home base' slide, the water and sand splashes up. Which quickly led to simply lying down in the water and pretending to swim. Last night, there were no other kids at the park. I think that was because the night before my kids were the only kids ALLOWED to play in the water.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The looks that I received from the other parents were ghastly. When did it become taboo to encourage kids to play in puddles? Is this the new age of parenting? You cannot play in the puddles because your SPF 65 sunscreen and specially formulated for kids DEET product would wash off? Are we concerned about the acid rain in the puddles? Someone please enlighten me cause God knows I am on board for all the latest neuroses but, I am confused.

Does allowing (nee encouraging) my children to play in puddles make me a negligent mom? It certainly did not feel that way as I washed pounds of sand from their clothes and bodies. Am I the only one out there that gets excited when I see the puddles at the park?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cincy Diva said...

You just keep letting them play in puddles. I am 44 and it still makes me misty to see kids playing in the rain. One of the great joys of my childhood was popsicle stick boat races in the flooded gutters after a big storm.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Y! I have been following along (and catching up) for a week or more now. I love it!! The pictures of the boys are adorable - and I let Avery and Cadence play in the puddles this week too - to their absolute delight :) Your blog gives me an excuse to stop sending irate emails late at night when I am tired and shouldn't be sending emails anyway....I know you remember what I am talking about :) Keep it coming!!!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you mud puddles and dandelions.

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunck of weeds that are going to take over my yard. My kids se flowers for Mommy and blowing white fluff you can wish on.

When I see a mud puddle, I step around it. I se muddy shoes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach....or to learn from? No wonder God loves the little children!!

I can't take credit for those words though I wish I could. Unfortunately I don't know the author.
Krys

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home