Tuesday, June 14, 2005

101 Things About Me

Well, for those of you who are interested, I have finally (with much prodding) finished my list of 101 things about me. I was not aware that this kind of exposé was mandatory with a blog and am feeling a little weird about the whole thing however ... so I do not face the continued wrath, here goes.

1. First and foremost in my life, I am defined as the mother of three young boys.
2. Sometimes that bothers me.
4. Though he thinks he comes after the cat, my husband is the next greatest priority in my life.
5. Many times, priority number two gets left behind.
6. I am educated and committed to having a career.
7. At times, this costs me more financially than it is worth.
8. It is worth the price emotionally.
9. I sometimes feel I don’t fit in with the working moms, who put career before children.
10. I sometimes feel I don’t fit in with the SAHMs.
11. Currently, I work for the federal government.
12. I am not committed to working for one employer and frequently hop to something better.
13. It does not always turn out to be better, but I always learn something from the experience.
14. I will NOT retire doing the job I am currently doing.
15. I have a good sense of humour (or so I think).
16. I value being able to laugh at myself.
17. I frequently provide the opportunity.
18. I am high strung and can get emotional in disagreements.
19. In contrast, I rarely expend the emotional energy to get into those disagreements.
20. I have a vast extended family, including two half sisters, one half brother, one step sister and two step brothers.
21. I believe in the bonds of blood and am committed to that family. Sometimes, unfortunately, but frequently to my benefit.
22. I would like to look like Angelina Jolie.
23. I would need to lose 50 pounds.
24. I would like to lose 30 pounds.
25. I have wanted this for a long time.
26. Growing up I was thin. Before children, I was normal.
27. I have tried pharmaceutical methods to lose weight. They don’t work.
28. I would completely consider plastic surgery, if I was not so cheap.
29. I am cheap. I hang my laundry on a laundry line because it saves me money, not for environmental reasons.
30. I like to do things for myself, including home renovations, outdoor yard work and interior design.
31. I take a great deal of pride in putting in the work to do something myself.
32. I frequently have no idea what I am doing when I take on these projects and like to pull in my significant other for the grunt work.
33. I am proud of the end result.
34. I live in constant fear that my situation will change and I will lose all that I have currently worked for.
35. This keeps me awake at night and influences all of the decisions that I make.
36. I think this makes me neurotic.
37. I plan everything. EVERYTHING.
38. I usually also have a back up plan.
39. It completely pisses me off when people mess with my plans.
40. My husband does not plan anything. Luckily, he goes along with my plans until they are derailed by someone else.
41. When something goes wrong, I like time to myself ... to re-adjust the plan.
42. I worry that this need for solitude is sometimes mis-interpreted.
43. Adult relationships frequently baffle me.
44. I am fiercely, but quietly, competitive.
45. Things seemed so much simpler when I was younger and could simply get drunk with my friends. :-)
46. My younger siblings still use this theory.
47. I love to read. Anything but Edgar Allen Poe.
48. I like classic literature as well as the current trash.
49. If only reading burned calories.
50. I like to do renovations like furniture stripping and sewing. (Wonder if the stripping reference will get me google hits).
51. Seriously, I would do that stuff for fun.
52. This is NOT my husbands idea of things to do for fun.
53. I am very proud of the way my front garden is looking and tend to it daily. More often than I tend to priority number two.
54. I like to dive. Off a diving board. Into the water. I am not very good.
55. I like volleyball. Also, I am not very good.
56. Seeing a pattern here?
57. I believe that I could get "good" (read, acceptable) with practise.
58. Before I die I would like to learn to fly a plane and learn to play the piano.
59. Not at the same time.
60. I love to travel.
61. Before I die, I will have lived abroad. Even I have to be a hooker to do so.
62. I believe in the ten commandments, but have trouble with the source.
63. I believe that the "community" is half the value of organized religion.
64. I believe that good people get ahead and bad people do not.
65. I believe in doing the right thing, especially when it is not convenient.
66. I do not always make that choice.
67. I have been accused of being too introspective, of spending too much time in my head (or somewhere else less favourable).
68. Sadly, this is sometimes true but it all goes back to the plan.
69. I went to five schools in the eight primary years.
70. At the time, I don’t recall being concerned about the constant movement but I hope that my children will attend only one (maybe two).
71. I have great childhood memories.
72. My grade three teacher was my favourite and I think she has influenced my life (and need for approval) forever.
73. I can’t remember her name.
74. I forget more things in one day than the average person remembers over a life time.
75. It is very frustrating.
76. I am not at all intimidated by new places or new people.
77. I am capable of "turning it on" in stressful situations; not stopping to think but moving into performance mode.
78. I live to speak in public settings and have spoken at conferences on behalf of the organizations that I have worked for.
79. In a survey of the American public, a fear of public speaking was ranked higher than death.
80. I am grateful there are people in this world that do not want the stage; someone needs to be the audience.
81. I have a weird need to organize. Even other peoples’ things. I think it goes back to the planning thing.
82. I have passed this neuroses along to my eldest son, who keeps and organizes rubber bands.
83. My second son is chaos and keeps the planners in a constant state of heightened awareness.
84. I collect antique maps of Europe. There is no such thing as an antique map of Canada. We are not old enough.
85. I am fascinated with the 1700 - 1800s, castles and knights. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I have come from that time period.
86. I hope that there is such a thing. It would seem a shame to have nothing after this.
87. I have been trying for 15 years to learn French.
88. I have to believe that it is just that I have not been able to focus that prevents me from learning the language.
89. I often work hard to get something or somewhere then discover it was not what I had hoped it would be. I hope that is normal.
90. While it was not my choice to buy a larger home, I like it.
91. I like it enough that I now want an even larger, more pretentious home, with a Lexus and a BMW SUV in the driveway. I don’t think that is good.
92. I drive around looking at other peoples’ homes.
93. I have inserted the "buy new bigger house with a pool" tentatively into the plan to see how the idea floats.
94. I would score off the charts on a stress test right now.
95. I would score off the charts on a stress test at any point in my life.
96. I MAKE things stressful sometimes.
97. Sometimes I would like to have just one more child. Not a girl, for the record. It is not a "must have a girl thing". I just like the comfort and innocence of the early stage.
98. At each of the stages my children have been in, I have thought "this is the best stage ever." I have yet to hit a stage without some amount of frustration and a great deal of joy.
99. My children growing up and leaving frightens me. Who would I plan for?
100. I like junk food: chips, chocolate, cakes, candies and McDonalds french fries. I understand the dangers that go with them and try to choose blueberries instead. It doesn’t usually work.
101. I am afraid of aging; of looking old; of being old; of dying. I will prevent it any way I can. As long as it is not too expensive. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

Hey, I feel cheated - that's only 100 things. You skipped #3!!

(But it was an otherwise interesting read, even if I could have probably written most of it for you!! Ah, the joys of lifelong friendship...)

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to Dani to notice you skipped #3!! I hate to scare you, but wait until the boys are older and start being interested in girls. Then the fun really begins!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home