Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Trac-ors, Trac-ors Everywhere

I live with an encyclopedia.

For those of you waiting for me to place lavish praises on my husband - smart though he is - this reference is to my 20 month old. He has become a walking encyclopedia of heavy machinery. And the funny part is that I like it.

We are at the stage where we cannot drive, walk, crawl, or even stupor drunkenly, by anything with four wheels without a running commentary. It is the intense excitement in his squeals that I find so delightful. We live in a growing community where we can pass by 10 - 15 tractors on the way to the grocery store. The drive goes something like this:

Keegan: mommy, mommy, MOMMY (the sound usually blends into one high pitched word)

Mommy: Yes, Keegan.

Keegan: trac-or, trac-or, TRAC-OR

Mommy: Yes, Keegan - that one is a digge....

Keegan: mommy, mommy, MOMMY (this is usually before I can finish my acknowledgement or have any meaningful discussion about the trac-or)

Mommy: Yes, Keegan (with a knowing smile)

Keegan: trac-or, trac-or, TRAC-OR

You get the picture. Sometimes I worry that the poor little thing will simply explode with excitement, akin to the fate of one of the kids in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I thought that might happen last night as we walked behind Liam's school. You see, they are installing a play structure and using little kubotas to do it. Up close and personal with a trac-or. Ahhh. I have seen Heaven and it has a diesel engine.

2 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

Simon is now obsessed with all of Tristan's tractor books as well. We have one book about a farm, and he flips impatiently past the cute duckies and calves and piglets to get to the page with the heavy machinery, where he points at each one and waits for me to name it for him.

So cute! Weren't they born just last month?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me - the inate differences between boys and girls at such an early age. Both my girl and boy were exposed to stereotypical "Girl" toys and "boy toys" right from day one. I find it so interesting that there seems to be a natural preference. Grace loves to play and imagine "family" situations ie. people or animals - always a mommy, daddy baby etc., Cameron, like Keegan loves cars, trucks, and all mighty machines. Grace(having an older brother) would occasionally play with her brothers cars but there would inevitably be a mommy car, daddy car etc.

We were recently at the beach where Cameron saw an old pick-up truck(1955). He immediately went into "OH WOW, SO COOL", then as a cloud of exhaust wafted by and he inhaled deeply,he said, "It even smells good"

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home