Friday, June 24, 2005

Grade One is Hard Work

I've been through the ringer. I am completely exhausted and am counting the minutes (maybe seconds) before summer break. Who could have known that grade one was going to be SOOOO challenging?

Now, things were different when I was growing up. I don't remember feeling like my mom was taking the primary grades right along with me but I am sure that I have just taken a grade one refresher course. Mom, is this just a child's lack of awareness???

Over this past school year, I have:

Created 200 cue cards for nightly practising of the grade one word wall words

Made one lady bug and one alligator cake

Garage-saled, then donated, over three hundred books

Created an "all about me" poster, and practised and attended for the presentation

Created an "all about animals" poster, as above

One one evenings notice, sewn a Jack and the Beanstalk costume and a frog costume; repeatedly practised lines for the presentation

Volunteered at school outings and events like the fundraising bar-b-que and play day.

Now this year I am blessed to have a caregiver (my sister) who is willing to volunteer for the events for the other kids. In many cases, she ensured my grade one got to school with all the relevant pieces and that took a huge load of my shoulders but, I have to tell you, grade two scares the be-Jesus out of me!

How to people handle it when they have three kids in the lower grades. I am coming to the conclusion that having children in school is not going to be as easy as I had anticipated. It is a full time job to get them there with all the pieces!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home