Friday, October 20, 2006

Proud Mama Moment

School is fairly easy for my kids so far. They are intelligent children with parents that work hard with their activities to support their learning. The consequence is that they are generally in the upper portion of their classroom grading. For my eldest, this is important as in Ontario, grade three is the year for province-wide testing. They want to make sure that the kids in a school in Timmins are getting the same quality of education and results as schools in say, Ottawa.

So, Todd and I were quite surprised that over the course of the last six weeks, Liam has had very little homework. So much so that Todd scheduled a meeting with the teacher. We figured that he was simply not bringing the homework home and therefore it was not getting done.

Imagine my surpise when the teacher showed Todd Liam's work so far in the class. His creative writing was done, and done well. His math tests have come back perfect. No word of a lie: the kid has not made a single mistake on his math so far. In English, he has scored 5/5 on four tests and 3/5 on one test. The teacher says that he is assigned his work and he buckles down and does it. And does it well.

Not that I have ever doubted that he is a bright kid. I know that. Just the same way that every parent KNOWS that their kid is bright. I am just surprised that he is committed. This is the kid that will bargain out of brushing his teeth at night if he thinks he can get away with it.

Todd says that it was grade three where he hit his stride. Before that his teachers thought he was just arrogant :-). By grade three they were calling it precocious. Then gifted. I am not big on labels so I am not going to push for gifted testing. In my eyes, all my children are gifted. I am just glad that he has found his groove. He is doing well and it is a big relief for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous bingo lover said...

Wow! you're very blessed with your children. It's a very rewarding feeling when parents doubt their kids to be less responsible and find out that they are doing very great in school. Hopefully he stays that way through high school. Kids in high school are different. Every parent could hope that their kid is doing what they're wishing of.

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home