Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hurricane Robinson

My boys are a whirlwind of fun activity. That can sometimes just be interpreted as a whirlwind.

Going away for a weekend and staying at a house without children is sometimes stressful. Don't get me wrong: the kids grandparents are wonderful and they never say anything to make me feel uncomfortable. However, (insert sigh here) my kids are active, always needing to climb on the big stones or trees my father has in his backyard. Or jump from the table onto the mattresses or go in and out of the sliding glass door. Or digging a hole in the gravel driveway. You get the picture.

Sometimes I feel like I am trying to control a force of nature. To contain the amount of chaos and resulting destruction. As the kids get older (and there are more of them) it becomes harder and harder to control individual actions. I have to rely on their insticts for what is acceptable behaviour. Apparently, it is acceptable behaviour for a 7 year old boy to spit on a frog to see what its reaction will be. Sigh.

Nature will never be the same. And I have decided that not allowing my children to interact with the outside world would be beneficial. To me. To them. Possibly to the world.

Then, I see other children and I am proud. My father decided as a parting gesture, he would treat the boys to McDonald's playland before we hit the road. There was another little boy there alone with his grandmother. Probably around six, and probably an only child, I would have been mortified if my children spoke to another individual with as little respect as this little boy did.

Yes, they break branches off trees to make forts but they don't destroy things out of disrespect. Yes, they are active but not malicious (with exception to the 2 year old). I think I have good kids. But, I may still hide them from society until they are completely respectable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home