Friday, January 27, 2006

Fighting Your Canadian Heritage

So, it stands to reason that all people are different. One would think that having the same experiences in life, coming from the same family, etc. you would be “more” similar to your siblings than say, a perfect stranger. Boy, would that be a mistaken assumption.

My four year old is rebelling against hockey. As a Canadian, and coming from a long line of hockey supporters, I am shocked. I may not understand how to properly call offside (who really does?) but as a family we have attended NHL games, done tournaments and taken part in all the requisite Canadian pass times. We all own sticks, have a net and can be seen playing shinny – road hockey, for the international readers.

I have offered to take my middlest to an Ottawa 67s game this Friday, special time just for him and I watching a hockey game. “No, thanks,” he says. Can we just play x-box instead?

There are enough issues in life that I will have to force compliance: you MUST do your homework, you MUST put your laundry away. I am absolutely, fundamentally NOT forcing a sport on the kid. He complains about going to his skating class and is miserable on the ice.

He needs to learn dexterity though. He is a clumsy kid and has had (minor) problems at school because he hugs too hard (and made a little girl fall down) and today, at reading circle, he fell on a little girl (I pray it was a different one than the recipient of the hug.) Part of it is that girls at that age are pansies; prone to crying fits at the least thing. However, part of that is needing dexterity on Aiden’s side.

Hockey might not help him with learning co-ordination but I am looking for suggestions at this point. Gymnastics? Soccer? Baseball? If he continues to struggle with coordination, match that together with the fact that he sometimes spits when he talks because he has two missing teeth, he is going to have trouble finding friends. I have sired a geek; an academic; I thought I would be more proud!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is the second son. Pshychology says that he will reject that at which his older sibling succeeds or which he loves. That is normal chilhood development. Guess he will find his own area of success. You will just have to be proud of him cause he is himself. He will never resemble the older one in any way. In fact at some level he will need to avoid being like him in order to find himself. Does a cat meow?

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops I mean does a dog meow.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

oh he'll like hockey, just wait

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now, I can think of alot of things worse than being uncoordinated(especially for a little guy who is only four) and not liking being on the ice.
After all, I'm still uncoordinated and hate skating and I'm only 40 :)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home