Monday, January 09, 2006

Week One Down

For those of you following the nanny saga, the first (and hardest) week was survived by all.

It is always hard to have someone else looking after your children during the day. Sage advice came to me early on to watch for changes in my children. This could signify problems that you cannot know about not being there.

There are changes in my children and I am not sure how to handle them. My children make their beds in the morning. My children are cleaning up after themselves. They got in trouble for something last week (fighting, I think) and they informed me that Banana had taken away the X-Box for the following day. They did not complain and whine and lament about how unfair life was. They told me: we did not listen and Banana took away the X-Box, matter-of-fact like.

Is she different from me? Yup, a little. But I am not sure that those differences are a bad thing. While I tend to allow my children the time to enjoy their youth and tend to pick up a great deal of their slack, it is a nice relief to have them being responsible for some of their own chores. It is not all about work though. The kids are doing crafts and baking muffins.

And she cleans. In the past, I have spent around four hours every Saturday morning catching up on chores that did not get done during the week. Instead, she vacuumed the upstairs (except my room) while the boys put their laundry away. I got a chance to enjoy my Saturday morning a little more than normal. I think I could get used to this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Wow... that sounds NICE!!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you find a good one- hold on with all ya got!! Make sure she knows she is appreciated, I know that always made me feel like it was worth it :)

7:18 AM  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Sweet!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

sounds to me like you have a gem on your hands. It's good the kids are excepting her.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, keep watching for changes.. the boys may start addressing you as Maam and sir.:) I am so happy for you.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home