Monday, September 12, 2005

Homeopathic Medicines

I am a bit of a strange person when it comes to chemicals. With just enough knowledge to be dangerous, I have converted my house to all non-chemical based cleaners, use tea tree oil based ointments and skin treatments and was soaked for almost 3K for an electrostatic, hepa filtration system that is supposed to clean every particle of air in my house over 24 hours. And, this autumn, I will need to pay $350 for a new filter for said cleaner.

But there is one thing that I cannot survive without. Thank you large pharmaceutical companies for anti-biotics. Despite all the research out there on how they can lower the immune system and/or create super powerful viruses that will take over the world, they offer effectiveness and peace of mind that I have yet to find in a natural based alternative.

Kudos to those parents who can proudly say that they do not resort to antibiotics for their kids but, with accident prone asthmatics in my house, traditional medicine here I come.

Last week Keegan fell while chasing a squirrel. He will confidently tell you "Aiden did it" but alas, there were witnesses. He scraped his knee up pretty bad but through bandages and the expensive natural topicals I thought we had it licked. But Keegan is a picker; first in a long line of pickers... And he attacked that scab with a commitment I've not seen before in a two year old. And of course, five days later, it errupted in a flaming circle with little white pussy spots. Off to the doctor and 24 hours of an oral antibiotic later, all is healed.

I could not have gotten that quick a response from a natural topical. And there would have been agony and angish over trying to keep the bandage on the knee. Now, all I have to worry about is the inevitable scarring.

BTW - It is my youngest's second birthday today. He is my big two year old now. And halfway to school age....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I entered his room the little darling woke up cheery and smiling. I approached his bed, his cherubic face smiling, and started to sing Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to...

"NO daddy, no do it."

Which was also the reply when I asked him for a hug and kiss before goingto work.

Little bugger

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home